Saturday, July 15, 2017

How to Get Cheap Theatre Tickets

Living in NYC, one of the most popular things to do is go and see a show. I know that among my friend group, we love going to see the latest shows both on and off-Broadway. But, Broadway tickets can a bit expensive for a student. During one of my previous internships for a Broadway company, I had to compile a list of discount tickets and that inspired me to write to this post.

So, here are the options you have to score cheap tickets to that show you've been wanting to see!
  • Student Rush
    • Not all shows have student rush, but when they do the prices cannot be beat! Getting to the box office around the time it opens is key to scoring those cheap student rush tickets. Use studentrush.org as a resource. 
  • TKTS Booth
    • With this one, you have to be willing to wait in line. I recommend going with a friend so you can take shifts if you need a break from waiting. 
  • TodayTix App
    • Easily accessible on your phone, TodayTix offers a wide variety of discount tickets for some of the most popular shows. 
  • nytix.com
    • This website requires a $4 a month membership but they offer a great supply of discount tickets for a variety of shows. I am not a member but I know some people who are and they love it. Typically, I prefer to use one of the free resources. 
  • BroadwayBox.com
    • Although I've never personally used this website, I have a couple friends who highly recommend it so I thought it was worth mentioning. 
  • Lottery
    • Check to see if the show you want to see has a lottery you can enter. Though you may not always win, it's still worth a try in my opinion. (Personally, I'm still waiting for the day I win the Hamilton lottery). 
  • Go to the box office the day of the show
    • Another option that requires getting up early in order to get to the box office early enough to see if they have any cheap day-off tickets. (I did this for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in London and got an amazing discount so I highly recommend this one). 
There are so many other theatres that offer their own discount programs that are worth a look. I hope this list of how to get cheap tickets helps you out the next time you want to see a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bold Type

One of my favorite shows that premiered this summer is The Bold Type . I hadn’t really heard too much about the show prior to its premiere,...