Thursday, July 6, 2017

Looking Ahead to the Oscars

Every year, typically in February, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences holds the Academy Awards. It is one of the biggest nights in Hollywood and entertainment magazines and websites have already started speculating who could be a contender in this year's awards.  One source that I like to keep up with is Variety. At my internship for an independent film company, they told me to constantly check in with this site to stay updated on news. I also had to keep a look out for mention of any films they were co-producing or financing. So that is why I thought it would be fun to share their “Midway Oscars Forecast: A Cluttered Landscape for Indies and Streamers.”

I know it’s early to be thinking about the Oscars but this article is a great read (especially if you love indie films and are looking for recommendations of which ones to see). As the article states, “just eight short weeks from now, the season will purr right back to life at the Venice and Telluride film festivals.” I will definitely keep an eye on these film festivals to see which films win and create buzz.

Reading the article, it’s apparent that there are a lot of great indie films that could be considered for an award. Personally, I hope The Big Sick manages to get some recognition. In the article, major indie film companies’ slates for the year are detailed. Some stand out films include Darkest Hour, Mudbound, The Current War, and Okja. Kristopher Tapley does a great job of providing a detailed list of possible contenders. But, as he says,
 This is not, by any means, a set of Oscar predictions. Rather, it is an attempt to fix the landscape from afar. There will be plenty of time for the usual guessing games in the fall.
Indie film companies always impress me with the films they create. Some of the best films I have seen came from an independent company. I feel it’s fitting to end this post with one of my favorite lines from Tapley in this piece: 

“It’s a dense and vibrant landscape for the little engines that could.” 

I can't wait to see which indie films earn a nomination this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bold Type

One of my favorite shows that premiered this summer is The Bold Type . I hadn’t really heard too much about the show prior to its premiere,...